Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Nancy Jester Speaks to Get the Cell Out - ATL

March 3, 2013

To:  Get the Cell Out - ATL

Thanks for commenting on my blog!  I spoke extemporaneously, from the heart, so I’ll have to reconstruct my comments.  There should be a transcript soon so I can get them from that.  I’m glad you found them helpful.  As the Mom to three elementary school children – I live this every day.

You asked for clarity on my “8-track, i-pod” comment.  What I mean is that we have a radically different delivery method for content (musical and otherwise) than we did when you and I were children.  We live in a customized world.  We listen to our “playlists”, have satellite radio and Spotify.  We watch cable channels that cater to specific interests.  Yet, we still have the same model for the distribution of education.  On top of the distribution system itself, the product is too often a “one-size-fits-all”.  It needn’t be that way.  We must change this.

I hope that helps in understanding what I meant with that comment.  Especially in our elementary schools, I believe the emphasis on technology is often misguided.  I certainly understand that middle and high school students need to understand how to access data online.  But our elementary school students need the warm, inviting touch that only a person can provide.  This is especially true for our most vulnerable children.  I truly believe that “things” do not teach children.  I should add that “things” do not inspire children; especially our youngest children.  Great teachers inspire our children.

I know how much you care about these issues.  I look forward to working with you in the future to transform education.
--Nancy

Nancy Jester
Web: www.nancyjester.com
Blog: http://whatsupwiththat.nancyjester.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want to know what you think. Leave your respectful comments here!